Can I sue a casino if I trip and fall there?

On Behalf of | Feb 21, 2020 | Injuries |

A casino, restaurant, store or any establishment open to the public has a duty of care to provide a safe environment for its patrons. As reported by The Epoch Times, a jury awarded an Ohio woman damages in the amount of $3 million after finding that a Cincinnati casino did not exercise “ordinary care” in providing a safe premises. The verdict came almost three years after the woman tripped and fell over a knocked-over “Wet floor” sign while visiting the casino.

If you suffer an otherwise preventable injury while you are on another party’s premises, you may sue for damages to recover for the costs of your medical treatment and recovery care. You may also be able to obtain compensation for lost income if your injury requires you to take time off from work.

A casino employee breached the duty of care

Just before the trip-and-fall incident occurred, a casino employee walked past the collapsed “Wet floor” sign. The employee, however, neglected to pick up or straighten out the flattened sign. The argument presented by the injured woman’s claim was that the casino displayed “callous disregard” for its patrons by not enacting safety policies requiring employees to spot and correct trip hazards.

The cost of pain and suffering may become part of the award

Although it is impossible to place a monetary value on an individual’s pain and suffering, it often plays a significant role in a jury’s determination of what is fair and just compensation. As a result of the incident at the casino, the injured woman required knee surgery and the insertion of metal hardware. In addition to decreased mobility, she can no longer enjoy her previous good health and suffers from arthritis at the point of her knee fracture.