From the time we’re young, we’re made to pay consequences for mistakes as a way to instill better decision making in the future. While we make fewer mistakes as adults, the consequences are often much more severe.
In exchange for a driver’s license, we agree to obey certain rules of the road. But even adults make bad decisions. Sometimes the bad decision was yours, sometimes you are impacted by someone else’s bad decision. Either way, if faced with your first DUI, the consequences are so severe that it’s worth a fight.
Ohio DUI Laws
In Ohio, we utilize the point system as a measure of traffic violations. A driver who accumulates 12 or more points will have their license suspended. Operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a six-point violation. There could be additional violations assigned to your arrest as well, including, but not limited to:
- Disregard for the safety of other persons or property
- Vehicular homicide, manslaughter or assault
- Driving with a suspended or invalid license
Criminal Defense Successes
When facing a DUI charge, hiring a criminal defense attorney is the right move. Attorneys who specialize in this area have seen every defense, and therefore, know what to look for to help your case. Here are some ways they can help:
- Reduced charges| Through knowledge of plea deals or alternative negotiating methods, clients can walk with minimal penalties.
- Dropped charges| Depending on the circumstances of the arrest, the State may agree to drop charges entirely.
- Reduced sentences| While Ohio has a sentenced many to jail for DUI offenses, depending on the circumstances, experienced attorneys can help you avoid jail time altogether, or at least have it reduced.
We are a consequence driven society, which is arguably why we enjoy relative safety and security in our daily lives, but sometimes, the consequences cost too much. When consequences of an action take away your ability to drive to work, or care for your family, you need to prepare your best possible argument and fight for your rights. With the right defense, it’s possible to pay for your actions without losing everything.